1815 is the earliest known date for proposals to build a bridge between the northern and southern shores of Sydney Harbour. It wasn’t until after the First World War that the idea was taken more seriously, when Dr JJC Bradfield presented his design to the New South Wales Government.
After inviting worldwide tenders for the construction, the contract to build the Sydney Harbour Bridge was officially awarded to English company Dorman Long and Co Pty. Ltd.
The construction began with the turning of the first sod on 28 July 1923, employing 1,400 workers and taking over eight years to build at a cost of more than 10 million pounds. Approximately six million hand driven rivets and 52,800 tonnes of steel were used to complete the construction, ahead of the official opening day on 19 March 1932.
The Sydney Harbour Bridge now carries eight lanes of traffic and two rail lines, with more than 200,000 vehicles crossing the road deck each day.