We care about the Bridge and the safety of everyone who uses it, including pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, and you – our Climber! We equip you with all the outdoor gear you’ll need for your Climb based on the day’s weather conditions and our Health & Safety Essentials.
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU CLIMB:
- Your health and safety is important: If you are pregnant or have any pre-existing health conditions please refer to the Health and Safety Essentials section below as you may need to provide a doctor’s Certificate of Fitness note before you climb. You must have a blood-alcohol reading below 0.05 to climb (the same as if you are driving). We will ask you to complete a BridgeClimb Declaration Form before your Climb. Please be honest about your health so we can ensure your wellbeing is not at risk. All discussions will be confidential. Learn more.
- How should you prepare for your Climb: Ensure that you have eaten before your Climb and you’re well-hydrated – the experience can last up to 3 ½ hours. Wear comfortable, enclosed rubber-soled shoes such as running, sport or hiking shoes and don’t forget your sunglasses. We recommend wearing comfortable clothing. We’ll equip you with everything else you need for your Climb! Ensure you arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled Climb time to allow enough time to check in.
- All your personal belongings can be stored in lockers, including cameras: We provide FREE secure lockers for you to keep your personal belongings in, including phones, cameras and GoPros. Our Climb Leaders will capture photos of you during your Climb. For safety and security reasons, cameras, video technology and mobile devices are prohibited on the Climb.
- You must be 8 years old and 1.2 metres in height, or taller: Children aged 8 to 15 must be accompanied by and are the responsibility of an adult, with a maximum of three children per adult. Learn more about our guide for parents climbing with children.
- Climbs operate in all weather conditions: We will equip you with all the gear you need to keep you dry, but remember to bring your own shoes, which should be enclosed, like running shoes. In case of extreme weather conditions like electrical storms or during times of extremely high wind, Climbs may be postponed. If you have any concerns, please contact our team on +61 2 8274 7777 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more.
Health & safety essentials: can you climb?
Anyone who is generally fit and healthy, 8 years and older and 1.2 metres in height with a sense of adventure is welcome to challenge themselves to the Climb of their Life. Please read the Health & Safety Exceptions to ensure you’re able to climb (below).
To participate you need to have a general level of health and fitness, and the ability to climb independently. On the day, you will be provided with a BridgeClimb Declaration Form for completion.
The following health considerations may impact your ability to climb safely, so please speak to our Duty Manager prior to your Climb on +61 2 92401152:
- If you’re under 24 weeks pregnant, you can climb with a Certificate of Fitness signed by your GP. Please download this form from our website and bring this with you on the day. If you are more than 24 weeks pregnant, you cannot
- heart conditions
- respiratory conditions
- current or recent physical injuries, including sprains/strains
- limited limb function, limb loss or limb difference
- surgery, from which you are still recovering
Essential medication like inhalers can be taken up on the Climb by your Climb Leader. Please ensure you advise us when you check-in for your Climb.
Health & safety exceptions
We do our best to help everyone climb, however there are some things that will prevent you from participating in a climb, including:
- a fit or seizure in the last six months
- broken bones
- if you are more than 24 weeks pregnant
- under 8 years of age
- under 1.2 metres tall
We care about our Climbers; so please be aware that even if you have made a booking we reserve the right to decline participation, rebook or modify your Climb to keep you safe. Health & Safety Essentials & Exceptions are subject to change at our discretion.
Fear of heights
We have helped thousands of people challenge their fear of heights by climbing to the top of the Bridge. If you are apprehensive, our team specialise in supporting and enabling you to overcome your fears to climb to the top of Bridge. Read more about our tips and techniques here.
Guide for parents/guardians
Yes, children from the age of 8 are welcome to join their parents on the Climb Of Their Life, provided they are 1.2 metres in height or taller. When considering whether this activity will be right for your child, we would like you to consider the following:
- Safety is and always will be our number one priority for all of our Climbers.
- We will equip kids of this age in smaller BridgeSuits, belts, gloves, or fleeces based on the day’s weather conditions.
- Climbing the Bridge is an all-age experience. The stories our Climb Leaders share during the experience is appropriate for a broad age range.
- Parents/guardians must remain with their children throughout the Climb experience, and must assist BridgeClimb team by managing their equipment preparation and behaviour.