Top 10 Things To Do At Vivid Sydney 2021 | Bridgeclimb
What is Vivid?
Vivid Sydney is an annual creative festival focusing on music, ideas and of course light. The world-famous festival features a diverse line-up of musical artists, thought-provoking talks and workshops from some of the world’s most interesting thought- leaders. Each evening throughout Vivid Sydney, the city comes alive with mesmerising light projections displayed on iconic Sydney buildings from the Opera House to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. In 2021 Sydney is also awash with 3D light displays in new locations such as Barangaroo and Darling Harbour.
When is Vivid?
Vivid runs for three weeks and the dates for Vivid Sydney are 6 August to 28 August 2021 with a lights on moment of 6pm each evening.
1. Book onto a Vivid Bridgeclimb
There is no better way to take in the lights of Vivid than on a Vivid BridgeClimb. You'll witness the dazzling display of light sculptures and grand-scale projections beamed across the city’s world famous landmarks, from 134 metres high above the installations around Sydney Harbour. If you want a prime time weekend spot, we suggest getting in quick as spots fill up fast.
2. Enjoy a Sydney Staycation with a Vivid hotel packageWhy not add an overnight Sydney staycation to your Vivid plans and enjoy a harbourside getaway at Pier One? This luxury hotel has created a special Vivid Sydney package for the festival. You'll get to enjoy an overnight stay in one of their super stylish and newly renovated rooms with snacks on arrival. You'll be walking distance from all the Vivid action including BridgeClimb and you'll even enjoy a complimentary Vivid cocktail at Bar One, $100 credit to use on food & drinks as well as daily valet parking.
3. Capture Vivid with BridgeClimb's Photography Vivid Masterclass
In partnership with esteemed landscape photographer and Fujifilm Australia Ambassador Glenn McKimmin, this special photography program on the Pylon's gundeck returns with a focus on capturing Vivid.
Back due to popular demand and sold out sessions the photography experience includes a 30 minute masterclass focusing on night time shooting in the Pylon's cinema space plus a 1.5 hour photography session capturing the light and colour of Vivid on the Pylon's gundeck, which is not normally accessible to the public. Photography fanatics will enjoy taking uninterrupted shots as the incredible kaleidoscope of Vivid light shifts around the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Circular Quay.
4. Laugh along with Briggs & Nat's What I Reckon: Vivid Special EventSpend the night at Sydney Town Hall with performer and producer Briggs and YouTube sensation Nat’s What I Reckon for their own Vivid special event. This Aussie pair will give each other advice on how to navigate their respective industries, talk through food, music and everything in between - it's guaranteed to be a thought provoking night out.
5. Get out and about on the Vivid light walkCheck out the classics of the Vivid light show including the 'Lighting of the Sails' which every year sees an internationally-renowned artist commissioned to create an original artwork for projection onto the Sydney Opera House that captures the spirit of Australia.
This year Cockle Bay will be home to over 200 larger-than-life illuminated spheres with a floating boardwalk, transforming Darling Harbour into a giant bubble bath. The Rocks will also play host to Vivid light installations including a futuristic display at the overseas passenger terminal and an interactive tribute to Hindu Festival of Colours, Holi.
6. Get creative with Pylon and Picasso's Vivid specialBridgeClimb's hidden gem Pylon Lookout and Museum have come together with Pinot & Picasso to bring Sydneysiders; Pylon & Picasso offering the opportunity to paint a limited edition Vivid artwork in the Pylon. The session kicks off with a guided tour up the 200 stairs of the Pylon with a specialist BridgeClimb guide who will discuss the fascinating history of the building and the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge.
You'll be greeted with incredible views of Sydney Harbour on the lookout level for the lights on Vivid moment which is sure to inspire a creative Sydney Harbour artwork.
Throughout the session, you'll learn some basic techniques of painting on canvas, in an iconic Sydney setting whilst enjoying soft drinks followed by a complimentary drink at the Glenmore Hotel to soak in the views of Vivid from their rooftop bar.
7. Enjoy soaking in the Vivid lights with a drink in handOnce you've walked the streets of Sydney enjoying all that Vivid has to offer, we suggest booking a table at your favourite bar to sit back, relax and take in the skyline lit with Vivid's illuminations.
Our top picks include the Glenmore's rooftop bar with views that sweep over Sydney, Squires Landing at the overseas passenger terminal which is right in the heart of the action and gives a great, unspoilt view of the Sydney Opera House Sails. If hotel bars are more your thing, check out Blu Bar at Shangri La for some of the best Vivid Sydney views. This special spot serves creative cocktails, time-honoured classics and original concoctions by some of Sydney's most talented bartenders.
8. Party at the Vivid Heaps Gay Qween's BallJust across the Harbour from BridgeClimb, you'll find Luna Park which will be lit up for Vivid, Sydney. The world class amusement park will also be playing host to the Heaps Gay Qweens Ball, on August 7th, a huge adult fancy dress party featuring live music from Sydney's top DJs - an excuse to party into the small hours at one of Sydney's most iconic locations.
9. Enjoy a child friendly Vivid with UnderSeaLooking to entertain the little ones at Vivid this year? Look no further than 'UnderSea' at the Australian National Maritime Museum on the 14th August. The whole family can enjoy workshops and panels from ocean scientists exploring every part of the deep blue. Kids can enjoy puzzles, experiments and interactive booths whilst learning more about the sustainability of our oceans.
10. DANCE TO A VIVID FLIGHT FACILITIES DJ SET AT THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE
One of Australia’s most beloved live electronic artists, Flight Facilities, will be once again delighting the crowds with a feel-good performance to the lights of Vivid, on the Northern Broadwalk of the Sydney Opera House with a mission on getting Sydneysiders back on the dance floor.